Resources for Accessibility
The A-Team (Accessibility Ministry Team) of the Northeastern Pennsylvania Synod provides materials, guidelines, and other resources for assisting congregations and groups to be accepting and accessible. Below you will find information for worship on Accessibility Sunday, usually celebrated on a Sunday in October.
Tips for making your church accessible
- For physical challenges (people using wheelchairs or walkers, or with poor ambulation): accessible parking, walkways/ramps, entrances, seating/pew spaces, bathrooms.
- For visual challenges: remove hazards, good lighting, large-print and/or Braille materials.
- For hearing challenges: good PA system, individual assistive hearing devices, sign language interpreter.
- For mental challenges: ‘church friend’ volunteers to sit with or assist, as needed.
- For worship, greeters/ushers trained to welcome people with mental, physical, and sensory challenges.
- For learning ministries, be inclusive as much as possible; provide special, separate opportunities when necessary.
The “A Team” 2-Step
1. Attitude All God’s people need to worship and learn. All God’s people need the spiritual gifts of people with disabilities. The church is ‘disabled’ without people with disabilities.
2. Adapt With the right attitude, you discover that most adaptations are cheap and simple. Plan and budget for the ‘biggies’…ramps, elevators, and renovations.
For a longer accessibility check list, contact Jean Sandberg, convener of the “A Team,” at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the Prayer of the Church
Creator God, you have blessed each of us with our own gifts and abilities, despite the disabilities we all have. Help us to open our hearts and minds and doors to people with special needs and challenges as partners in your kingdom and lead us to be advocates for full opportunity and justice for them in our churches, communities, and nation.
From the day’s readings (2010)
- 2 Kings 5:1-3, 7-15c: The healing power of God’s servants
- Psalm 111 (1): Hearts led by God’s love
- 2 Timothy 2:8-15: Endurance is a great spiritual gift
- Luke 17:11-19: Faith makes us well
In the hymns (Evangelical Lutheran Worship)
#360 Love consecrates the humblest acts
#359 Where charity and love prevail
#533 Open now thy gates of beauty
#592 Just as I am
#610 O Christ the healer, we have come
#650 In Christ there is no east or west
#652 Built on a rock
#654 The Church’s one foundation
#669 Rise up, O saints of God
#674 Let us talents and tongues employ
#583, #685 Take my life and let it be
#712 Lord, whose love in humble service
#719 Where cross the crowded ways of life
#835 All creatures, worship God most high